Advice on Social Services Involvement

Should you require legal advice, make contact with our family department. We will be happy to assist you through the process.

  • Has your child been removed by social workers and/or the police?
  • Have you been written to by social services saying they will be starting legal proceedings?
  • Are social services involved with your children or family?

      Finding yourself in any of the above situations will, no doubt, be hugely distressing for you.  You may be at a loss as to where to turn for help and guidance.

      Are you on a low income?

      We can help you find a solicitor who can guide you through the process of filling in the forms to get legal aid.  We know many trusted and experienced family solicitors who can help you.  If you are not eligible for legal aid, you can seek the advice of a barrister directly and, if appropriate, we can guide you to a solicitor.

      Are social services calling you unfit to parent?

      We have many years’ experience representing parents in care proceedings where the social workers are trying to say they are not capable or fit to look after their children. There are all sorts of situations where you can find yourself dealing with social workers and the local authority.  It may be that they are trying to say you have harmed your child deliberately. They may be saying you have neglected the needs of your child, or that you have not supervised them properly and so they have come to some harm.  It may be that you have been brought into the court proceedings because of claims you have harmed a child in your care, even if it is not your child.
      Whether you are a mother or father we can assist whilst giving you practical and easy to understand advice.  We have the ability to fight these cases properly and are not afraid to challenge evidence, whether it comes from social workers or experts of any kind.

      Are you being investigated by the police?

      If you are also being investigated by the police, or have been charged with a criminal offence alongside the family court proceedings, it can be highly distressing especially if you have been separated from your children. As an experienced and down to earth barrister, we can guide you through the process in a sympathetic manner. If you are struggling to get contact with your children who have been taken into care by social services we can advise and assist you in trying to get contact arranged so that you can maintain a relationship with them, even if it is at a contact centre.

      Call the clerks and we will help you, and find a solicitor to help if you need one.

      Featured insights

      What happens if you drive without a licence?
      What are the penalties for Benefit Fraud?
      Stages of Money Laundering explained

      Contact Us

      Chambers is centrally located within walking distance of the train station, secure car parks and the Courts.

      Contact Us

      St Pauls Chambers
      Park Row House
      19-20 Park Row
      LS1 5JF

      For out of hours assistance please call the senior clerk on 07854170429.

      The switchboard will open from 08:30 until 17:30

      Phone: +44 (0)1132 455 866
      Email: [email protected]
      CJSM: [email protected]

      Portfolio Builder

      Select the expertise that you would like to download or add to the portfolio

      Download    Add to portfolio   
      Title Type CV Email

      Remove All


      Click here to share this shortlist.
      (It will expire after 30 days.)